another under-rated song?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

another under-rated song?

Post by Steve Schenck »

Here's another song which, while not among my very favorite Burt songs, still has, I think, a kind of quintessential "bacharach sound." It's by Burt with Carole; most here I'm sure have heard it before. "Extravagant Gestures"

Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: another under-rated song?

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks Steve for sharing that link. I consider "Sometimes Late At Night" to be one of my favorite albums. I had it on vinyl when it was first released and was just crazy about how the songs segued out and right into the next one. The producer (the late Brooks Arthur) did a splendid job along with all the musicians, session and guests alike. "Extravagant Gestures" was one of my favorite cuts off of that particular album and my favorite cut off of the "Friends" album by Dionne. On "Friends", Dionne, Carole, and Burt really did a great job on "Stronger Than Before", another gem from "Sometimes Late At Night" that I can't find on CD because it is OOP once again. I've read somewhere on this forum that there were several releases including a Japanese Import which included excellent sound quality along with the initial sequencing, segues and all. Only wish they would release it again! Long live CD's!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steve: .....Always enjoy being reminded of my favorite Bacharach "buried treasures" such as "Extravagant Gestures". ......I like a lot of the work Burt & Carole collaborated on - especially the Carole Bayer Sager "Sometimes Late At Night" album cited by Bruce. ..... As stated in previous posts - I had the pleasure of attending Burt & Carole's live performance of all the songs on that album at the very intimate Roxy Theater on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. I believe I heard it was the only live performance they had scheduled - so - when I read about it in one of the trade publications I contacted the William Morris Agency and much to my surprise - Burt's manager at the time arranged for us to be Burt & Carole's guests at the show! ..... Turned out to be one of the best shows I have ever seen! ..... Like Burt - Carole has never portrayed herself as an accomplished vocalist; however, listening to either of them performing their own material is "pure magic"! .... Once again - Loved hearing Burt sing his 3 numbers at last month's concert with the San Diego Symphony!

Bruce: .... I was confused by your reference to "Extravagant Gestures" being a cut from the "Sometimes Late At Night" album. ... Perhaps you have an imported edition of the album that includes the song by Carole. ... It was not included on either my vinyl LP or CD ..... only on Dionne's "Friends" album and CD!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Hi Ron, thanks for the observation. I stand corrected. I now remember that "Extravagant Gestures" was not on the "Sometimes Late At Night". As I said earlier, that song happened to be my favorite one off the "Friends" album and when it first came out, I asked a friend what his favorite cut was and he replied the same. We attended a Dionne concert in OKC in December, 1994 and wound up getting her autographs just before she took the stage. I had the opportunity to meet her on several occasions. Each time she was ever so gracious!
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

How about this song "A chance for heaven"?
performed by Cristopher Cross.
Used for the 1984 Olympics in the U.S.

One of those hidden gems!

Kind Regards,

Marcel :D
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

All these Burt/Carole Bayer-Sager and Dionne recordings .. enough for an album of their own! All Arista/Clive Davis produced I think so maybe the good man himself should release a song book of these hidden gems altho 'That's What Friends Are For' was a huge hit of course.

That's What Friends Are For
Stronger Than Before
Stay Devoted
Love Power (with Jeffrey Osborne)
Heartbreak of Love (with June Pointer)
Take Good Care of You and Me (with Jeffrey Osborne)
Finders of Lost Loves (with Glenn Jones)

And of course the great one you mentioned .. Extravagant Gestures. I wonder if there are others?

In line with these I like the Burt/Hal David and Dionne song called 'Sunny Weather Lover' and Burt and Dionne's 'Captives of the Heart' from the 'Aquarela Do Brasil' CD too.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Gill,
Here's another from Dionne, this time composed by Bacharach and David......

"blue"
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Thank you for that posting. Another one to the list. Such an evocative sound of the 'open road' ahead, new beginings touched with a bit of sadness.. The mood is strongly felt.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Originally from the "Futures" album, and many, many miles away from "Dance (Disco Heat)":
Sylvester from 1978 "I took My Strength From You" (which he, himself arranged, all 7 minutes, 16 seconds of it!).
I don't know too many other versions of this wonderful, little known Bacharach/David song: