DW`s `72 Warner Bros. re-issue

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

DW`s `72 Warner Bros. re-issue

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Administrator:
A few months ago we were encouraged to expect a release date from Rhino for the `72 "DionneWarwicke" album.
I e-mailed them a week or two ago for an update and haven`t heard back.
Perhaps you`ll have better luck.
Thanks.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I haven't heard anything new. A better person to ask than Rhino is David Nathan, who is producing the set for Rhino. I'll try to check up with him and see what the story is.
WaltBreen

Waiting forever for '72 "Dionne" and '73 "Jus

Post by WaltBreen »

I'm thrilled to hear that Rhino is doing the "last" Bacharach/David/Warwick(e) album -- while I've been able to find most of Dionne's '70's and '80's stuff either on Rhino or as Japanese imports, these first two Warner Brothers discs, I've had no luck with, and I assumed there wasn't enough interest. I'm looking forward to hearing these albums again for the first time in what seems forever.
Walt "I Just Have To Breathe" Breen

Post by Guest »

Ron

Post by Ron »

Many of us are looking forward to these remastered works which bring us to the point where most of the Scepter and Warner albums are now available on CD. "Love At First Sight" (the last Warner album was in limited (expensive) release as an import from Japan.

"The Magic of Believing", "Dionne Warwick in Paris", "The Dionne Warwicke Story" and "From Within" are the only Scepter albums that have not been released although many of the songs on those projects appear as bonus tracks on other re-issues. "On Stage & In The Movies is (was) available as a Japanese import.

Next challenge for David Nathan is to get some of the Arista work remastered for release on CD.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

"Dionne Warwick´s Greatest Motion Picture Hits" and "Dionne Warwick in Paris" have been available for the last month or so at the Apple iTunes Music store to download. They also have "Presenting", "Make Way", "Promises,Promises" and more. They are all listed as Rhino releases.

I´m personally begging :-) for "The Magic of Believing". I had a bad 60s vinyl copy that I lost 20 years ago. If the sound of the remastered album would be anywhere near that of the "To Be Young Gifted And Black" version that was included on last year´s "Soulful" release, TMOB could be truly magical.

I also like "A Man & A Woman"...Even Isaac Hayes and Dionne duetting on "Feelings", where she gets some spontaneous applause in mid song from the crowd for hitting some beautiful notes.

Post by Guest »

great news i have been waiting for these CD's for such a long time David Nathan always comes up with the goods Digitally Remastered to perfection and his line notes are always a treat.These will only be available to buy on the link provided above so pre-order your copies now for shipping in April.My order is already in Great price too.

Post by Guest »

This LP is more-than-superb, B/D deep cuts excel. Then lawyers came in, and Burt (as I remember from interviews) started years of a wandering phase: a) walking up and down the beach in Malibu all morning. b) obsessing over the long-form thing he would eventually do with the Houston Symphony, and c) he would drive/or/meet Angie at Ira Gershwin's for a poker game. She would play poker, while BB would try to make a sandwich out of whatever was in Ira's refrigerator.

What awaits is the complete Burt/Dionne box: every single darn demo and tune they recorded together .... The best thing I've found is (sorry to repeat) is the awesome "Dionne" double LP for the Columbia Record Club ... just tons of her Burt demos, unreleased cuts and deep cuts. But I'm sure there's a lot more to be found ...

Post by Guest »

"i just have to breathe" oooooooooooo at last the album we have all been waiting for DIONNE (72) produced by BURT & HAL

and her second album for warners JUST BEING MYSELF produced by HOLLAND DOZIER HOLLAND a very different sound for DIONNE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ron

Post by ron »

Despite the less than favorable reviews at the time of their release and the somewhat negative characterizations of those albums ("inappropriate material and production") - those 5 Warner Brothers albums recorded by Dionne in the 70's contain some great material. Following the breakup of the BB/HD/DW team following the release of "Dionne" it was easy to denigrate the subsequent releases involving different composers, lyricists and producers by unfairly comparing them to her previous work with Burt & Hal. Interesting to observe - that except for the Holland, Dozier, Holland project "Just Being Myself" - the others attempted to emulate Burt and Hal on some level on a number of the songs included on those LP's.

Bottom Line - those Warner albums have stood the test of time and although they represent a departure for Dionne - they are timeless in their appeal. I truly appreciate David Nathan's (and others involved) efforts toward remastering and releasing this music. May I suggest as a token of our appreciation - we order these releases through his "soulmusic.com" website!

Post by Guest »

well said RON i have ordered my copies and i too appreciate Mr David Nathan for all the fantastic work he does on Dionnes back catalogue everyone should order these fantastic re-issues along with all the other re-issues he did on the Rhino + Rhino Handmade labels Dionne Warwick at her re-mastered best.

Post by Guest »

AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
westgate1

Post by westgate1 »

Yes I agree with you Ron, I love those Warner albums, and agree totally with your view of the material. Dionne was in fine voice on those records as well...to me she proven without a doubt that she is one of the greatest singers of all time!!

David Nathan rocks...he is a wonderful resource of all things Dionne...God Bless Him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ron

Post by ron »

westgate1:

Right On! As previously stated - I miss your regular contributions to this forum. Good to hear from you! Still looking forward to the duets project promised by Dionne - once again - earlier this year. She said it would be available for the 2005 Holiday Season (originally scheduled for 2003 Christmas release). Cross your fingers.