Fool Killer

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Fool Killer

Post by nowmedical »

I've just found this track on an Australian CD of Burt songs. This is a seriously weird song - does anyone know anything about it? Even Serene D seems a bit nervous of it.
ron hertel

Re: Fool Killer

Post by ron hertel »

You must be referring to the Bacharach/David song about the runaway boy! .... This is one of my old time BB/HD favorites (recorded by the late Gene Pitney) that I liked even before I knew that Burt & Hal existed. I know other forum participants have stated that they experienced the same thing (a certain sound) and later discovered it was a BB/HD composition. This really hit home when Burt, Hal & Dionne began their string of successes - the common thread was BACHARACH. .... Gene Pitney recorded others as well by BB/HD including: " (The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance", "Only Love Can Break A Heart", "True Love Never Runs Smooth" and "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa".

For me ..."Fool Killer" is in the same mellow category of BB songs such as "Heartlight" and "Captives Of The Heart"!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I remember meantioning this tune to Burt back in 1970...he told me I was probably the only one who remembered it(lol)
This was before the resurgance of interest in all of Burt's old tunes...Gene Pitney stated it was his favorite of all of the tunes he recorded with Burt and Hal....
I like it very much, but acknowledge it is not very commercial-that doesnt matter to me...Its a da*n good song!
Written for a movie, but again, not sure it it was used in the film..so many of their songs were "Exploitation" songs.... written to promote films...in those days/
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This is one of those beguiling melodies with which I suspect Burt surprised even himself. Like "In Tune", "Don`t Say I Didn`t Tell You So", "Come and Get Me" it was recognisably Bacharach yet somehow "noir-ish'."
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Burt was wrong steveo_1965! .... at least 3 of us (you along with me and Blair) remember it! ..... I believe it was included on Gene Pitney's "Big 16 Volume 2 LP". ... I recall playing it over and over again (haunted by that unique melody that I did not know was a BB/HD composition). Although never a hit (may not have even been released as a single) - Gene included it in his concert performances for many years! ,,,, Too bad that legal, artistic and record company issues precluded Gene from recording more Bacharach!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

"Fool Killer" was also available on the Musicor album, "Pitney Sings Bacharach", I'm not sure of the release date, but I think it's late 60's, because the liner notes talk about the "new" musical, "Promises, Promises".
The title is misleading because of the 10 songs on the album, seven were written by Burt Bacharach, two by other songwriters and one was written by Hal David and Paul Hampton, "Donna Means Heartbreak".
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thank you Ron for replying...Yes, it certianly is unique sounding...
I remember the album you're reffering to Groove...
Donna Means Heartbreak is also a good song.....I believe it was a single...
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Composed for the movie "The Fool Killer" starring Anthony Perkins (1965)....but never used
in the film.... according to Serene Dominic..."Pitney cited this as his favorite of the
Bacharach/David tracks he cut"...........weird and wonderful !

"blue"