Ry Cooder - Mexican Divorce

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Werner

Ry Cooder - Mexican Divorce

Post by Werner »

Don't know if this one has been posted before.
Enjoy.
Werner.
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Ry Cooder - Mexican Divorce

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

My problem with this is identical to the objection I had to Laura Nyro`s version of Be Aware. In each instance the singer improvised a new melody. In Ry`s case, I suspect, because he couldn`t sing the original; in Laura`s because, well, that was Laura (It was also a demo. It`s possible, although unlikely, that she would have been truer to the score if she had made a studio recording intended for release. Nothing on Angel in the Dark was a final take; she died before completing the album).
Nevertheless, I`m a stickler: If you`re going to sing a Bacharach melody, sing it; otherwise, leave it alone.
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

I totally agree with you Blair! Ms Warwick has been guilty of this to a lesser degree than others. I believe that most of those who do mess with or rework a Bacharach Melody do so because of their vocal inadequacies or in the case of Ms. Warwick - diminished vocal capabilities.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Cooder's version of the tune was used as the basis for the arrangement for Nicolette Larson's cover of the tune cut around 1978. Her version is orchestrated beautifully although it does differ markedly from Burt's original with the Drifters and Dionne high in the mix. I do like Ry's work but prefer Nicolette's version. She certainly had the chops to cover the original arrangments but frankly, I like her version best of all. The original is superb but also terribly dated. Here is her cover and the original:

Compare this to the original:

Dionne talked for years for recutting this tune but we ended up with dreary (and mostly passionless) remakes of her very familiar Bacharach hits in the 90s and into the new century. Sad that she had so much obscure Bacharach/David to chose from but chose the familiar. I, for one, would have loved to hear her takes on the little known Bacharach she DIDN'T record...alas, I believe such a project will never come to pass for her as she hasn't the chops any longer...the opportunity for a project such as this passed about 10 years ago.
Spiritinthesky

Post by Spiritinthesky »

Love Ry Cooder