Burt and the drums

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Burt and the drums

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I could swear that I read that Burt took drum lessons when he was a kid (maybe when he was a teenager, I'm not sure of his age).

If this is true, then I'm wondering why I've never seen a picture of Burt playing the drums. Wouldn't you think that at some recording session Burt would have gotten on the drums and played a bit? I would think that, at some point, he would have gotten on the drums to show the drummer exactly what he wanted and someone would have snapped a picture. Or what about all those TV specials he did years ago? Wouldn't he have wanted to show that side of him at least once?

Now if it happens that Burt never did take drum lessons (and that I dreamed this), then boy will my face be red! :-)
Roberto Pinardi

Re: Burt and the drums

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Greats percussion in "Fertily Dance" from Lost Horizon Musical 1973

Bye
Roberto
BachtoBacharach

Re: Burt and the drums

Post by BachtoBacharach »

From A House is Not A Home web site:

At his mother's insistance, he studied cello, drums and then piano beginning at the age of 12. As a youth, Burt hated taking piano lessons. His dream was to play professional football, but his size, or lack thereof, kept him out of that field.

Apparently, Burt didn't have any interest in "jumping in" to play cello or drums during his career at any time.