A mini tribute to one of Burt's arrangements

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

A mini tribute to one of Burt's arrangements

Post by steveo_1965 »

Sitting here this morning, at the computer(no music being played..dead silence)
thinking about the wonderful cut on Burt's 1969 album, MAke It Easy On Yourself"
The tune is "Knowing When To Leave"I can hear it playing in my mind like a tape recorder. The barren opening of the horn solo, then the soft rhythmic guitar coming in undeneath it pulsing away...To me the arrangement is a masterpiece...Of course it has its dynamics..It swells up a bit , then comes down again, before finally coming to a forte on the chorus..I know this is the same song that was in The musical Promises, Promises, but it's as if its a different song, the way he re-arranges it for this album...All of the songs on that great record have this quality, the ability of Burt to re-invent his tunes in a different setting...
And of course , I also love the ending, where the tune just kind of "strings out"... floating away with the woodwind solo(oboe, english horn?) over the 2 repeated guitar chords, once again pulsing away. Strings enter, with this added militeresque muted brass playing a polychordal line with its melody..Thank you Burt for creating this..it has and contines to inspire me!

Steveo
Marcel

Re: A mini tribute to one of Burt's arrangements

Post by Marcel »

Dear Steveo,

Indeed, i had it the same on Knowing When To Leave.
And i had it the same with Magdalena at the ending.
That soft drifting fade away and when you close youre eyes you get lost in it.

Perfect,Perfect or better Brilliant

The Albums Make It Easy On Youself and Woman are my fav.
I also like Futures and Another Spring Wil Rise !

These touching elements is one of BURT`s craftmentship

Kind Regards :

Marcel
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Steveo,
You've described it perfectly.....and that ending !
a track that is ridiculously good !!!

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

ty Blue and MArcel! : )
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blue;

It's just incredible how Burt can improve on perfection from the Broadway show, Promises Promises!

P.S. I have not forgotten your surprise! I have been very busy lately!

Steveo, how is it going?

Take care mon ami's

Vincent
Last edited by vincent.cole on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burtchifan

Post by burtchifan »

I think I may be in the VERY minority here, but here goes: I prefer Burt's albums than performances by other artists. Sorry, but it's true. For me, listening to Burt's renditions of his music is just magic, pure and simple. His arrangements of: "Reach Out For Me", "Wives and Lovers", "I Say A Little Prayer For You", "Knowing When To Leave" (is that Dionne at the end singing "sometimes your eyes look blue to me"? sure sounds like her), "New York Lady", "Pacific Coast Highway", among many, many others are amazing. I appreciate Hip-O-Select for releasing all his A&M albums in one collection. If you haven't, purchase it, and ENJOY! I know I did, am, and will continue to enjoy.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

I like this instrumental track better than Dionne's version.....superb percussion !

"blue"
PS
Thank you Vincent....take care mon ami !
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Vincent, doing good, ty....Hope you are too!
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear steveo_1965,

First of all, congratulations on this topic!
I consider "Knowing When To Leave" one of the most perfect songs that exists in all aspects: melody, harmony, dynamics, modulations, etc.. I love this song!
In the mid-1970s, the master Burt Bacharach opened his shows with "Knowing When To Leave"!
Do you remember?
Fantastic song, including the performances by Hugo Montenegro (1969), Jill O'Hara (from "Promises Promises") and the immortal voice of beautiful and wonderful Karen Carpenter's medley in tribute to Burt/David, by "The Carpenters".

- Hugo Montenegro (1969)

- Jill O'Hara

- Karen Carpenter (The Carpenters)

or

Sincerely,
Djalma Jr.
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The late great Dusty Springfield's version.......

"blue"