Updated Release Dates For "Now"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Updated Release Dates For "Now"

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

The release dates for Dionne's "Now" has been updated: October 30, 2012 Internationally and November 6, 2012 in North America. I have read conflicting reports regarding three (3) songs: "Reach Out For Me", "Be Aware", and "I Just Have To Breathe. One report indicated that these are the original recordings taken from "Make Way For Dionne Warwick" (1964) and "Dionne" (1972). Another report stated that these three (3) are all new recordings. Can anyone shed some light on this? Personally, I hope that they are new recordings as I already have the original recordings and don't want another "compilation" CD. Long live the CD!
gillanddon

Re: Updated Release Dates For "Now"

Post by gillanddon »

Hi Bruce! Unless I read it wrong I was under the impression that all the songs on now would be newly recorded. As much as I love the original recordings, like you, I have them all and feel they would contrast badly to the new sound we have had a hint of on the new release 'Always Something There To Remind Me'.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Hi Bruce ... you are right, those three songs you mentioned on Dionne Warwick's new album 'Now' will not be 'new' recordings. This has been announced on her official facebook post. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest as it indicates what may have been a 'gem' of an up to date 50th anniversary album into a compilation album with dated qualities. Not good for us who know all the work so well ... maybe good for new comers who don't? The contrasts in her vocal style and range will be no doubt painfully apparent. Oh Dionne! I fear you have maybe botched this final chance to really sock it to us and that's coming from one of your most faithful fans.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Oh well, this project has turned out not to be what was originally promoted to be. I think the old tracks were used to pad some things already in the can along with 4 "new" recordings produced by Phil Ramone so that Dionne would have something to release for her 50th. I can't believe that you are expressing doubts about this project, Gillanddon as you have been a staunch defender. But I am not surprised that this project is not what we originally thought, somehow this project seems to be a little disingenuous.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

I cannot remember a DW release receiving this much advance publicity since at least "Friends Can Be Lovers" 20 years ago.

Today her single was added to the BBC 2 playlist. For those of you who haven't heard it yet, here is a direct link to the track.

And on top of the 3 original recordings from the 60s and 70s...there a 9!!! new Phil Ramone produced recordings on the album:

01. (There’s) Always Something There To Remind Me (new recording)
02.Are You There (With Another Girl) (new recording, chosen for this album by Stevie Wonder)
03. Don’t Make Me Over (new recording)
04. Love Is Still The Answer (brand new track)
05. 99 Miles from LA (brand new track)
06. Be Aware (taken from the album ‘Dionne’ 1972)
07. Reach Out (taken from the album ‘Make Way For Dionne Warwick’ 1964 release)
08. Is There Anybody Out There? (brand new track)
09. I Just Have To Breathe (taken from the album ‘Dionne’ 1972)
10. It Was Almost Like a Song (brand new track)
11. Make it Easy On Yourself (new recording)
12. I Say a Little Prayer (new recording, Dionne duets with her son David Elliott)
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Hi GehVorbei, Thanks for sharing the link. Unlike others who've voiced their disappointment in this, I fell in love with it even after my first hearing. My favorite part occurs at 3:00-3:28 (sans percussion). And gillanddon, even though those three (3) songs that may not be new recordings, I will listen to them as if they were. I just love Dionne, PERIOD! Long live the CD!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Thanks BBW, you made my day with that commend:-)

...And a lovely new pic from Dionne...
Attachments
faces20q-1-web.jpg
faces20q-1-web.jpg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 5548 times
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I know BachtoBacharach I have always been a very staunch supporter of Dionne's recording career and as a result I think I was expecting more of a 'concept' album ... I think that's the word? One in which the songs and sounds sort of hold together .. such as her early recordings or even some of the Arista ones 'Heartbreaker', 'Friends In Love' etc and not a compilation album of which we have had so many in the past. However, as GeVorbei points out, there are 9 songs in a 'new' Phil Ramone style and only three original recordings .. they could have taken this opportunity to back up the new CD and have a double album with a Bacharach and David CD featuring some of their many but lesser known fabulous recordings. Many thanks GeVorbei for posting the FABULOUS picture of Dionne. Wow! All these new photos are stunning.