I HAVE A DREAM - 50th anniversary today

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

hereiam

I HAVE A DREAM - 50th anniversary today

Post by hereiam »

Martin Luther King said this famous words in a speech of the march in
Washington 50 years ago today..

Tom Clay's medley of Abraham Martin & John plus What the world needs now is so appropriate
for this occasion and the best MV of it on Utube must be this:

Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: I HAVE A DREAM - 50th anniversary today

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks hereiam for honoring this historic event via Tom Clay's memorable video. I was there 50 years ago at the age of 13 and arrived on one of two "Freedom Busses" that we boarded in the parking lot of Douglass High School in OKC. Just prior to Dr. King's speech, I got separated from my group and wound up at the stage to report myself as being lost. The announcer yelled out my name over the loudspeakers and lo and behold my 1st cousins (whom lived in D.C.) heard that announcement and came to my rescue. We lingered around the stage and so glad we did as it afforded us the opportunity to meet many of the guest speakers and vocal performers: Adam Clayton Powell, John Lewis, Mahalia Jackson, Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Executive Secretary of the NAACP Roy Wilkins, and yes, Dr. King himself! That experience was not only educational and inspirational to me, but had an indelible impact on my very being. I am so grateful to Dr. King and all of the "Freedom Fighters" of yester-year and today to help us realize that it doesn't matter what color you are or who you love. What really matters is that we're all equal and put on this earth to help one another. Let Freedom Ring!!