"Send My Picture to Scranton PA"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

"Send My Picture to Scranton PA"

Post by blueonblue »

A seldom mentioned Bacharach/David track from B.J.
........a Jewel !

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Re: "Send My Picture to Scranton PA"

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I loved this right away when I first heard it on (I believe) the Everybody`s Out of Town album. I wonder if it was a B-side to a single.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Blair,
It was the B-side of "I Just Can't Help Believing" (1970)
I have a question to ask.....why doesn't Burt write "adventurous" music like this anymore ?

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Exactly, Blue.
That`s what I`m thinking when I criticize the Bayer-Sager years, At This Time, and too much of Some Lovers.
Hey, Burt set the bar, not me; and I`ve never thought that being a fan (of anyone) meant being a worshiper.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Crazy but I hear similarities to Plastic City and especially And Then You Know What He Did.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

I think it was Herb Alpert who once said:
" Bacharach's melodies are simple....yet complicated ? "

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I've been continually dumbfounded at the response so many of you have given to Burt's "At This Time" album. Am I the only one here who rates all the compositions on that album very highly? "At This Time" is endlessly enjoyable for me and I find all the music on that album showing that Burt's genius for musical composition is still in full bloom. "Danger" alone proves that Burt is still at the top of his game. And don't believe for a second that I'm saying this just because it's Burt.
Jan R.

Post by Jan R. »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote: Am I the only one here who rates all the compositions on that album very highly?
No, you're not the only one. I have to admit that when I heard the album the first time, I was so disappointed that I sold it on ebay. But "Who Are These People" on the Sydney Opera House album brought my attention back to it, and finally I bought it a second time.

The album needs time to grow on you. The only (minor) criticism would be that he uses a lot of synth sounds and effects here (like the stereo effect on the e-piano) - which is not a problem in general, but it might lead to the effect that the album sounds a bit "outdated" very fast after its release. But this gets more and more relative over the years ...