Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, thanks for that.
Yes, I remember Polly, I'm a British man of a certain age......."Jurassic" ! lol
Was it really 44 yrs ago ???

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Not too many covers of this BJ Thomas song, here's Robert Goulet "Everybody's Out of Town" (1970):

Vincmpozr1

Post by Vincmpozr1 »

This is an instrumental jazz trio I played bass in, and performed a lot of Burt Bacharach songs:
Our interpretation of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

Vinnie Pelletier
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Vincmpozr1 wrote:This is an instrumental jazz trio I played bass in, and performed a lot of Burt Bacharach songs:
Our interpretation of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

Vinnie Pelletier
Love it, absolutely love it! Tom Powers was a great pianist, wasn't he? You and the drummer played great, too. You made that song really come alive.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

I heard this instrumental on Brian Matthew's "Sounds of the Sixties"
It's based on Sergei Rachmanioff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini"......quite beautiful.

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

Yes Blue, the show's feature on records based on or inspired by the classics is usually a highlight. A UK Top 30 hit in 1962, the Clyde Valley Stompers' trad jazz arrangement of Prokofiev's 'Peter and the Wolf' (Peter's Theme and The Cat) always makes me smile and has been played on the show more than once. Amazing to think now that those other big names of British trad jazz, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk and Chris Barber achieved around twenty-five Top 40 hits between them in the late 50s and early 60s. it truly was a different world back then. I've yet to hear a trad jazz arrangement of a Bacharach tune, though:

Last edited by pljms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

Hugo Montenegro's version of 'Knowing When to Leave' isn't an instrumental as you'd expect and It features a male chorus rather than a sole female voice. This must be the most covered lesser known B&D song and other versions that I know of that have never to my knowledge featured on Youtube are by Sue Raney, Gordon MacRae and joe Bourne:

Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

Aretha on Letterman

Yes, her voice has aged, but she can still bring down the house. Many of you will agree with me when I say that Aretha had one of the most spectacular voices of all time, and, like Dionne, is in a league of her own. Someone put a knock on her voice here recently and all I can say is "to each his own." (By the way, she's 72 years old now.)

Enjoy! (And yes, that dress!!)

http://gawker.com/aretha-franklin-annih ... socialflow
An Enormous BB Fan

Hush (from Some Lovers)

So beautiful! And Liza's violin solo is superb.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Bing sings Burt........."occult interludes" ???

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Andre' Previn once remarked that most people weren't aware that he composed '(Theme From) The Valley of the Dolls' because Dionne Warwick's US hit recording of the song had Bacharach's stamp all over it. As far as I'm aware, Bacharach produced it (with Hal David), played piano and conducted, the arrangement being by Pat Williams. It was played on this morning's 'Sounds of the 60s' on BBC Radio 2.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Bob Crewe was a songwriter and producer, most notably for the legendary Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons, here's his version of "Wives and Lovers"...

Bob Crewe (1930-2014) R.I.P.

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

Dionne Warwick's 'We Need to Go Back' compilation of previously unissued Warner Brothers recordings continues to be a fascinating listen. Out of the three Bacharach songs featured on the disc only 'He Walked Right Through the Door' has so far failed to make an appearance on Youtube. Here's the rather hypnotic 'Plastic City' instead:

Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A "magic moment" from one of Burt's TV Specials in the early Seventies.

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes Blue, Bricusse and Newley were a great songwriting team for a while in the 60s and early 70s. My two favorites of theirs are 'Pure Imagination' and 'Feeling Good'. The latter's probably best known now via Nina Simone's remarkable recording of it in the 60s. However, Randy Crawford did a nice version of it with her old friend Joe Sample and here they are performing it live two or three years ago in Europe: