Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, thank you for that wonderful video, two absolute world class stars performing a fantastic song !
Here's Tony Newley with a song he used to perform when he was the opening act for some of Burt Bacharach's 70's concerts.....pure Genius !

Joe Sample and Anthony Newley R.I.P.

"blue"
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Yes, Tony Newley was obviously a highly talented man but perhaps a bit of an acquired taste as a singer.

I recently heard a radio interview with another great British talent, composer Tony Hatch, in which he admitted that Jackie Trent's UK No.1 hit 'Where Are You Now My Love' was composed and arranged during the time in the mid-60s when he was completely under Bacharach's spell. I know it's been posted here a few times before over the years but it's a beautiful record and along with 'Downtown' is probably Tony Hatch's greatest composition. Nice film accompanying the song too:

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes Sara, 'Where are you Now' has to be the best Bacharach 'impersonation' ever recorded. The Chris Andrews song 'Girl Don't Come, a big UK hit for Sandie Shaw from about the same time probably runs it a close 2nd:

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, here's another song that could easily be mistaken for a Bacharach & David composition.
It was, in fact composed by Artie Butler and Mark Lindsay...but you could have fooled me ???

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Although I knew of 'Amanda', Blue, that's the first time I've heard it. I see it's on yet another DW 'Best Of' compilation issued this week. This is a double CD of the '62 to '75 years and contains no less than 37 B&D songs. Details in the link below:
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Thank you Martin, that's one of the better Dionne compilations.
Some great tracks on that one !

"blue"
DFELD

Post by DFELD »

Lots of interesting videos posted by "45rpmMike" with rare versions of Bacharach songs.
https://www.youtube.com/user/45rpmMike/ ... =bacharach

You could also try searching "45rpmMike" for some rare Tony Hatch songs.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Bette Midler (promoting her new cd, "It's The Girls") doing "lip flip" with Jimmy Fallon, midway thru this clip they "perform" "Baby, It's You"":

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Rare Bacharach / David track from Cliff (1965)

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I've not seen this before - Andy Williams with a very animated Burt Bacharach conducting and playing the piano in a B&D medley from April '68. The three backing vocalists who take the lead on 'I Say a Little Prayer' look vaguely familiar and the one in the middle might just be Cissy Houston. Fascinating stuff:

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin,
Thank you for that great video.....what a wonderful singer Andy was !

And it's the first time I've ever seen Burt use a "baton"

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

..... Andy Williams - perhaps the greatest "male interpreter" of these Bacharach/David classics. ........ Obviously sung the way Burt likes them sung! .... Thanks for posting this link!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Ron, I agree. Andy`s art lay not least in making what he did seem utterly effortless. He was "a natural." Glossed over by critics as too white bread, he was, nonetheless, a major talent and a personal favorite. He also was given "If I Could Go Back" to record (if I recall correctly) in `72 before the doomed LH movie was released.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

I believe this was only released as a 45 rpm, at least in US, here's Johnny Mathis, "Whoever You Are, I Love You":

grooverider

Post by grooverider »

That video of Andy Williams is available on DVD, "The Best of The Andy Williams Show", released in 2007, which also features Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles (those are the Raelettes backing Mr. Williams in the BB clip), Cass Elliot, Burt Bacharach, The Smothers Brothers, Jonathan Winters and Roy Rogers & Dale Evans.
Originally aired April 28, 1968, (the section w/Burt Bacharach).