silly question 3

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

silly question 3

Post by nowmedical »

Am I the only person who thinks that "This Guy's In Love With You" - often described as the perfect song - grinds to a complete halt after the chorus?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

The song "This Guy's in Love" has got to be one of my very favorites...
It does has an unusual format where it has a big buildup,holds on the first note of a bar after a triplet, and then "Railroad tracks"(heheh, music industry talk for this mark //
which interpets to a cease in the music (in fact, it's called a ceasura)
after which in this song the singer sings more softly "if not i'll just die eye eye"
Then the ending of the song has a gradual fade out on the sheet music. The term smortzando(a gradual dying away) is printed as an instruction.....
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hey, Steveo---

Want to second your praise of "This Guy..."---ceasura &all!!---I believe it to be, one of the most idiosyncratic & individual songs EVER! Only someone who marches to his own drummer, as Mr. Bacharach always has, could ever conceive of something so precise, yet effortless-sounding!
And to think, he not only composed it, but (correct me, if mistaken) produced & arranged, as well!!

All The Best,

Jerry
blueonblue

Herb Alpert..

Post by blueonblue »

Noel Gallagher (Oasis) has called this, the greatest love song ever made !
..........and who can argue ?

"blue"
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi, nowmedical,
among friends, there are no silly questions! Burt's recording of "This Guy's in Love" is the one that got me into Burt - past the "knowing all the hit records" stage, I mean.
In this recording I began to understand Burt as an iconic musical entity, (not to mention writer), but most of all, as a performer.

I used to listen in wonder (and still do) to the part where he starts singing along in that beautiful "I'll just sing along, here - I know you won't mind" kinda way.
The un-Burts mostly laugh at that bit and think it's unpolished and weird and uncommercial. It may well be but to me it's the mark of the true maverick genius that he can feel so comfortable with his own work. A truly intimate moment.

"A gradual dying away" indeed, Steveo. Shades of a musical petit morte.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Jerry and Daddy Dom,

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you...glad to know you all feel as I do

regarding this "masterpiece"of a pop song..(This Guy's In Love with You)

Best,

Steveo
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

We all reserve a special place in our hearts for the first one, don't we?
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I think it's one of Burt's (or anyone's) greatest songs. I don't think it ever grinds to a halt. In fact, I think just the opposite: It builds and builds until the wonderful release of Burt's piano riff. Of all the songs to pick!
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

You're quite right, Enormous - the piano vamps just leave you back at the start again, suggesting some kind of beautiful infinity.

So I think thanks to nowmedical's not-silly question, I have and maybe others have found something new in this song's ending.

*sigh*
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

If I may jump in here again, I think(I may be wrong) that nowmedical
was focusing on the part where the song builds up, and then comes to a temporary halt... right after the triplet (bah bah bah bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- then the ceasura // ("if not i'll just die" lyrics follow...)That this part graduallly builds and suddenly comes to a head by stopping- then being folllowed by a gentle vocal is so atypical, and so unique...well, it is just that.... this section is very episodic.
The gradual dying away I reffered to was at the end, (the fade out ending) - I agree with Daddy Dom, however, within that petite morte...it is a soothing reprise, and drifts like boats on a lake or a breeze blowing... the opening is repeated and takes us dreaming again into infinity, as the song fades out...
a unique form, for which again, I praise Burt : )
Another of Burt's tunes which does this is Come Touch The Sun..one wants to follow the warmth of that last phrase and follow it into infinity...to ride
with it as long as possible...sigh-wonderful!

Steveo
nowmedical

Re: silly question 3

Post by nowmedical »

I had to dig deep to find this string - the years slip by!

My original point was that fabulous as it is, "This Guy's In Love With You" seems to reach an uneasy halt exactly where Steveo (who never fails to respond to my posts) pinpoints at "if not I'll just die..."

Well, I've just acquired the Isley/Bacharach album and it seems Burt felt likewise, as in this more recent version he introduces a chirpy instrumental interlude (soprano sax?) which keeps the tempo moving along, and removes any hint of a halt. I'm obviously in the wrong job.
steveo_1965

Re: silly question 3

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear Nowmedical,
I have always enjoyed these 2 little breaks in the music...
and also the smortzando, or dying away at the end...
perhaps it disturbs some, but not me...
and we can't change the past....as it turned out to be Burt and Hal's first number one hit on the pop charts...
people liked it....
Steveo