CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi,
I'm wondering if any of Burt's sons are composers or musicians..
Does anyone know if Raleigh or Chris dabble in music?

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

steveo_1965 wrote:Hi,
I'm wondering if any of Burt's sons are composers or musicians..
Does anyone know if Raleigh or Chris dabble in music?

Steveo
It's a good question!

Now think about all the great song writers of the past 50, 60 and even 70 years. Can anyone think of any great songwriter whose sons or daughters became great songwriters also?

Richard Rodgers' daughter, Mary, was a songwriter. But I believe her success was very limited. I don't believe she had any hit songs.

I'm thinking of one son who is very famous and is an excellent songwriter and is following in his father's footsteps like no other I can think of. I'm thinking of Jakob Dylan, son of Bob Dylan. His group is called "The Wallflowers".

Any others?
pljms

Post by pljms »

In the late 90s two of Jimmy Webb's sons formed a band called the Webb Brothers and have released a number of albums. The little I've heard of their music displays very little of their father's influence. I've heard it variously described in the music press as 'Indie' and 'Stoner Rock', what ever that is.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Loudon Wainwright and Kate McGarrigle's son Rufus and daugther Martha are superb
singer-songwriters....Rufus Wainwright as also worked with Burt on "Go Ask Shakespeare" !

"blue"
PS
Wouldn't it be great if either Christopher, Oliver or Raleigh, decided to follow in
their dad's footsteps !!! :D
Dennis Webb

Post by Dennis Webb »

Nora Jones has written some of her own songs, if I'm not mistaken, in addition to performing them. Her father is a famous musician & composer as well. Who can tell us his name, without Googling for the answer?

-Dennis Webb
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi Dennis, Norah Jones's father is Ravi Shankar, I believe, who George Harrison helped bring into the spotlight.
Bebel Gilberto comes from such a great musical family: her father is Brazilian giant Joao Gilberto, her mom is Brazilian legend, Miucha and her uncle is another Brazilian legend, Chico De Hollanda.

Her 2001 Grammy nominated album, "Tanto Tempo" is already a down-tempo classic. She has recorded with David Byrne and the Thievery Corporation (another great Washington, DC duo--check out "The Mirror Conspiracy").
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Cant remember if C.P.E. Bach was a chip off of Johann or not...
but I was bascially wondering if any of the "sons of Burt" were interested in giving music a shot....

Steveo