Phil Ramone talks about Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Phil Ramone talks about Burt

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

It starts on page 123. (Phil Ramone is the legendary sound engineer.)

I thought the oddest thing was -- well, make that two odd thing --- taping the wallet to the drum, and how superstitious Burt was about having Minnie, Phil's mother, at the recording sessions. It's hard for me to believe, though, that Burt wouldn't have started the recording session until Minnie got there -- simply because of the expense. I can't believe that Florence Greenberg would have indulged anyone like that. Well, either way, it makes for a good story.

Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yzTUVH ... #PPA123,M1
Rio

Re: Phil Ramone talks about Burt

Post by Rio »

I couldn't find any of that by following the link. Did you read that in the book itself and is now using the link to refer us to the book?
Who is "Minnie"?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

The link leads you to"google Books" and in the square to the left, the type will appear,but it takes time for it to load.(quite a bit of time)
I enjoyed this little part of the book...tyvm for leading me to it!
Steveo
Rio

Post by Rio »

I couldn't find it. But thanks for trying!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Rio,
I'm sorry you wern't able to get in to see that...I'll try to
summarize what Phil said....
He said...
that he has the utmost respect for the trilogy of
Burt, Hal, And Dionne...and when Bell Sound was overbooked, they came to his studio(A&R), and he loved everything about this trio and the way they made records...He praised Burt's brilliant orchestration, and unusual or unique way of writing(unusual melodic skips, odd meter, odd phrasing, etc....saying it was very original.
Was proud to have his name on the label "engineered by Phil Ramone"...
became good friends with Burt...they created some great hits together
such as Alfie, Do You Know The Way to San Jose, I Say A Little Prayer....and that Minnie, Phil's mom, was there when they first started recording together and became kind of a good luck charm for Burt and Company..
to the tune of which each record would subsequenlty become a hit...Burt and Minnie got along famously, and Burt wanted her there at each session as kind of a good luck talisman, 'cause every time she had been at the sessions, the record seemed to be a success, and he didn't want to break the pattern. She actually didn't show one time, and Burt refused to start the session without her. Phil called his mom at her work, and asked her to come down, which she did.
Phil described some recording techniques he used with The Bacharach-David-Warwick sessions, like leaving string mikes open for bleed over when they wern't playing and fastening a '"wallet" to the snare drum to give it a certain sound....
He also described Hal David and his presence, as being mild mannered and low keyed...and that Burt and Hal worked together very well....
Once in awhile Phil would give his opinion as to a take, etc, and Burt accepted his input and valued it.Florence Greenberg would show sometimes, and be boisterous upon hearing a playback, shouting yea!!,etc.
Rio

Post by Rio »

You and Mark are making me feel like a have a family in here...
Thanks so much for your most generous post. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Every line, a gem.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Rio, You're welcome, and you ARE family.......
: )
Happy Holidays!
An Enormous BB Fan

Okay, here's another way of accessing that books.

Go to:

http://books.google.com/

Then, in the search bar, type in "Burt Bacharach Ramone".

I clicked on the link above that I provided and it takes me right to it. I can't figure out why it doesn't work for everyone. So try what I just said here. That should work. You can also just type in "Burt Bacharach" and Dominic's book will show. If it doesn't, then type in "Burt Bacharach Dominic".

I think we'll get more information about Burt's Scepter years from people other than Burt himself. Having said that, there's a nice interview with Burt in Dominic's book, which I read at books.google.com. I will get the actual book evenutally. (Neither Tower Records nor Virgin Megastore had it when I went there.)
Rio

Post by Rio »

Besides the cover of the book on the left, this (see below) is pretty much what I see. I get to see only an "About the Book" page. If I do a search I get the same page -- directly, or indirectly. (I am using a slower computer than usual, but the browser seems to be OK, and I waited plenty for something else to show up on the screen that could be of any help. I certainly don't go straight to pages from the book.) Thanks so much for your active interest.
As for Dominic's book, I do get to see parts of the book, as there's a possibility never available on the Ramone book's main page(?), to see a preview of the book.
-------

Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Billy Joel, Dionne Warwick, Ray Charles, Paul Simon, Quincy Jones, Karen Carpenter, Liza Minnelli, Rod Stewart, Luciano Pavarotti ??? not to mention Jamie Cullum, The Backstreet Boys, and Bono -- have all had& nbsp; hits produced by Phil Ramone.& nbsp; One of the century??'s most influential and innovative music technicians, Ramone won the first of thirteen Grammy awards for Stan Getz??'s Getz/Gilberto in 1969 and his most recent for Tony Bennett??'s The Art of Romance in 2006. In his first book, he walks the reader through every step of the recording process ??? and along the way, he reveals intimate details about the studio sessions that gave us some of the most legendary songs our our time, including ???Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard??? by Paul Simon, Dylan??'s entire ???Blood on the Tracks??? album, and Billy Joel??'s ???Just the Way You Are.???& nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp;

Mais detalhes
Making Records: The Scenes Behind the Music
Por Phil Ramone, Charles L. Granata
Publicado por Hyperion, 2007
ISBN 0786868597, 9780786868599
336 páginas

Adicionar à minha biblioteca [links... add to my library]
Escrever resenha [write a review]
An Enormous BB Fan

I'm sorry, Rio. I don't know why you're not getting what I'm getting. I wish I could direct you further, but I don't know how. To get on the internet, I use Microsoft's "Internet Explorer". Maybe your browser works differently and doesn't show what IE shows. I know, for example, that there's one site that I go to, and when I use IE, I can see what I want to see, but when I use Apple's "Safari" browser, it won't show. So this is how I discovered that the internet shows thing differently with different browsers. Sad, but true.

Another thing: I would copy and paste the whole thing, but you can't cut and paste from google books. At least I couldn't, that is.