Irma Thomas and a new Bacharach song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Irma Thomas and a new Bacharach song

Post by pljms »

One that seems to have slipped through the net as far as this forum's concerned: A few months ago Irma Thomas had a new album released on Rounder called 'Simply Grand' featuring a new Bacharach song written with Steve Krikorian entitled 'What Can I Do', which, based solely on one hearing (BBC Radio 2), I have to say is pretty damn outstanding. Irma is now a Grammy winning blues singer and the album's punny title alludes to the fact that she's accompanied on the concert grand by a dozen different pianists over the 14 tracks, including Dr John, Randy Newman and Norah Jones . As most of us I'm sure are aware, Irma's no stranger to Bacharach material having recorded both 'Long after Tonight is all Over' and 'Live Again' in the mid-60s.
Paul
nymusicalsguy

Re: Irma Thomas and a new Bacharach song

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Totally agreed. My only regret about this track is that Burt himself didn't accompany Irma; some parts of the piano arrangement don't recall the Bacharach style, and I think his unique voicings and piano style would have produced something remarkable. That said, it's still a very special track, beautifully-performed, and I urge everybody here to check it out.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thanks, pljms, for alerting me/us to this Bacharach song entitled "What Can I Do?"

I did some internet searching and found it! And you're right, nymusicalsguy, about the fact that it would have been really nice if Burt could have been at the piano.

I'm enjoying the song very much, thank you.

Here's the link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=33264651
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

pljms wrote:One that seems to have slipped through the net as far as this forum's concerned: A few months ago Irma Thomas had a new album released on Rounder called 'Simply Grand' featuring a new Bacharach song written with Steve Krikorian entitled 'What Can I Do', which, based solely on one hearing (BBC Radio 2), I have to say is pretty damn outstanding. Irma is now a Grammy winning blues singer and the album's punny title alludes to the fact that she's accompanied on the concert grand by a dozen different pianists over the 14 tracks, including Dr John, Randy Newman and Norah Jones . As most of us I'm sure are aware, Irma's no stranger to Bacharach material having recorded both 'Long after Tonight is all Over' and 'Live Again' in the mid-60s.
I just did a little internet research on Steve Krikorian. It turns out that Steve is none other than Tonio K! Did you know this? I love this stuff. I was wondering who this guy is that Burt would write with him? I figured he had to be pretty good and come well recommended for Burt to write with him. Anyhow, so now I know... and that's who he is.

Here's a link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mrmando/tonio_k/bio.htm

I hope they write some more together, because I'm really liking "What Can I Do?" more and more.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Yes, thanks to the Song by Song book, I knew they were one and the same person. Bacharach wrote a lot with him under both his names 6 or 7 years ago and I wonder if this song is from that time. I personally don't mind the New Orleans style piano on the track.
Paul
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Please refer to the nymusicalsguy post of August 14, 2008 on page 3 of this forum for the initial announcement of Irma Thomas' Rounder release "Simply Grand" which was released back on Tuesday, August 12, 2008. "What Can I Do" is one of my favorite Bacharach songs as I have almost every Bacharach song that exists--the two 3-boxed sets (The Look of Love), and just about everything that's listed on the Discography part of this site. "What Can I Do" is one of the few songs that I play almost on a daily basis. I too wish that Burt had tinkled the ivories on this one!
outstretchedarm

Post by outstretchedarm »

to be honest..I didnt mind the piano at all...in fact alot of Burt's material is best interpreted by others.

I wasn't overly impressed with the vocalist though. she didnt have much presence on the track. Can we get Ron Isley to sing this?