Kennedy Center Honors

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

sash

Kennedy Center Honors

Post by sash »

It just makes me mad that year after year, Burt and Hal are passed over. I am watching the Kennedy Center Honors right now. Barbara Strisand, great. She deserves it. Twila Tharp is amazing. Morgan Freeman is so wonderful as well-one of my very favorites. But The Who??? WHAT? Every time I see Pete Townsend I think 'pedophile'. And George Jones? I may be a little younger thank many on this board, but I was born and raised in Texas and I can not name one single solitary song he sings. Nobody is more deserving than the men who wrote Alfie.

I know this topic pops up every year around Kennedy Center Honors time, but what do we have to do to get Burt and Hal David up there? I'm sure Burt would rather be sitting by Obama than Bush anyway....gotta do it in the next four (probably eight) years!
nymusicalsguy

Re: Kennedy Center Honors

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Nobody would like more to see Bacharach & David on that Kennedy Center stage than me; they are long-overdue recipients of the honor. (And the same goes for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame -- the number of rock artists influenced by B&D is countless, and they are certainly as deserving as inducted non-rock artists such as the Supremes, Dusty, and their Brill Building colleagues Goffin & King, Mann & Weil, etc.) But the Who and George Jones are both extremely deserving of the honor and Burt's lack of one shouldn't take anything away from these talents. Burt's own collaborator Elvis Costello has long cited Jones as a major influence on his work (and he & James Taylor spoke at length of Jones' ouevre on last week's SPECTACLE broadcast), and the Who are without a doubt one of the most lasting rock bands in musical history, contributing a number of bona fide classics which still resonate today. That said, let's hope Burt is on next year's list... :D
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

This is such a sore spot with me you have no idea! In fact, I was going to start this thread myself but you beat me to it sash. And I come here every year at this time and express my dismay and disappointment at how they neglect the genius and legend, Burt Bacharach, at this particular honor. No one is more deserving of this honor than Burt. And it's also a disgrace that Burt isn't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, considering certain other people (who are no more Rock & Roll than Burt) who have been given that honor. As far as I'm concerned, the Kennedy Center Honor people should be ashamed of themselves for constantly denying Burt this honor. (And, by the way, Burt would deserve the entire two hours!)
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Iagree with all you guys have said...Burt and Hal...WAYYYYYYY OVERDUE.....DIONNE AS WELL(if she hasn't already been)

Steveo