Audra McDonald sings God Give Me Strength

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

R

Audra McDonald sings God Give Me Strength

Post by R »

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et ... e-channels

POP MUSIC REVIEW
On expeditions with Audra McDonald
Unexpected choices highlight a Disney Hall journey through opera, pop and Broadway.
By Daryl H. Miller
Times Staff Writer

January 31, 2006

Audra McDonald hosted the equivalent of a record party Sunday at Walt Disney Concert Hall, inviting the audience to listen to the great new songs she'd discovered.

In her concert and recording work, the revered Broadway actress has tended to champion emerging songwriters from the world of musical theater. At Disney Hall, she expanded into material by singer-songwriters from the pop realm.

After referencing artsy student days at Juilliard in her introduction to Rufus Wainwright's "Damned Ladies," McDonald registered a crescendoing sense of consternation at opera heroines, Tosca and Desdemona among them, who eternally fail to heed her warnings about the no-good men in their lives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR THE RECORD:
Audra McDonald —The headline for a review of Audra McDonald's Disney Hall performance in Tuesday's Calendar implied that she included opera selections in her set. She did not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In John Mayer's "My Stupid Mouth," she conveyed slap-to-the-head frustration at "another social casualty" caused by "this desire, I just wanna be liked, I just wanna be funny — looks like the joke's on me."

Dipping into the amber-hued lower reaches of her soprano range and pushing gradually higher, she brought ever-evolving emotion to the moaning, mournful title words of Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach's "God Give Me Strength." Turning then to escapist fantasy, she toyed with sunny irony in Nellie McKay's "I Wanna Get Married."

Tightly in sync with a five-player combo, McDonald chose the road less musically traveled even for her rare nods to old-time Broadway, opting for the trembling discovery of the lesser-known Jerry Bock-Sheldon Harnick tune "When Did I Fall in Love?" from "Fiorello!" as one of two encores demanded by an audience that, after a dozen and a half songs, didn't want to let her go.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options