Random musings about Mr. Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

Random musings about Mr. Bacharach

Post by someonenameddavid »

Was browsing the forum, looked at the plagiarism thread and was considering what it was about Burt that inspired such intrepid admiration amongst his followers: Surely, if he were a product a manufacturer would kill to have his sort of brand loyalty.

Burt is not the "Diet Coke" of music: all pop and fizz with a nasty aftertaste: His music is sweet and mellow with great staying power, the ability to surprise, and also give you a bit of a "zing" and a thrill... It's difficult to contain, but easily recognizable. It's redolent of the time and place in which it is written, but never out of date. It's the voice of a soul searching, but not alienated, asking great questions and not being satisfied with easy answers... and all in the ordinary person's vocabulary.

From what I gather of him as an individual: he seems to be a genuine person without pretensions ( I think of Paul McCartney in a similar light but have no actual feedback to support this). I perceive him to be a perfectionist and to require perfection from those around him in the music world. I'm sure he is not perfect, but with his experience and maturity I believe he has come to terms with himself.

So, to those of you who have not yet seen his live show... if it is at all possible within your financial means take time to see him. I can recall having the opportunity to see a great performer and missing him by one day, and then never having that come my way again.

You will treasure that experience far beyond the actual price of the tickets.

Regards, David

(oh and if you thing that this makes great copy and I should quit my day job to be a writer... e-mail me... I have a large family to support)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
bonkersforburt

just left liz

Post by bonkersforburt »

david , met liz last night after the show and again this morning at the hotel...she is a lovely, sweet girl...a real asset to the show....i know you are very proud!
someonenameddavid

just left liz.

Post by someonenameddavid »

Yes, well a dad has to glow on the inside sometimes. She has a loyal following of violin students in L.A. who help pay the bills when the gigs are not happening, and she also has a bunch of famous friends that have been in the charts since the seventies... and she treats them all the same.

:lol:

david
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.