DON'T MAKE ME OVER - in tribute to Dionne Warwick

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

DON'T MAKE ME OVER - in tribute to Dionne Warwick

Post by ron hertel »

While in Chicago last week we attended Jackie Taylor's Black Ensemble Theater Production focusing on the life and music of Dionne Warwick. Fans are probably aware of the fact that Dionne surprised the cast and attended a performance a few weeks ago and gave it high marks. The story line was somewhat biographical in nature focusing on the highs and lows experienced by Dionne throughout her career; however, the emphasis was truly on the great music associated with Dionne. A total of 22 songs were performed (15 composed by Burt Bacharach) by 4 cast members with remarkable voices (referred to as Miss Divine and the 3 Dionnes). More than one of these ladies deserves consideration for a recording contract. Dionne #3 (Alexis J. Rogers) delivered a showstopping performance of "All The Time".

The biographical scenes had talented actors portraying everyone from Lee Warrick (Dionne's Mom) to Burt Bacharach. The musical staff under the direction of Jimmy Tillman did a great job with the complex music (9 piece band).

This was truly a labor of love and admiration for Dionne. I believe the final performances are this weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun). If you're in the Chicago area - don't miss - Don't Make Me Over! - Details on Warwick's website.