On the Virtues of "Be Aware"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

On the Virtues of "Be Aware"

Post by Steve Schenck »

I've been listening to this fabulous piece a lot lately. Something that struck me - the change in time signatures is this song, from 3/4 to 4/4, exactly matches a change in the thought of the lyric line. The song proceeds as a reminder to the comfortable that not everyone in the world is comfortable. The first part of each verse, in 3/4 time, lists the various blessings of life in a prosperous, free society; then, switching to 4/4 time, and with the most exquisite, tender and piercing melody and pacing, it reminds the listener that not everyone on the world lives this way. It's terrific! Commentators on Burt's work often mention his penchant for innovative time changes; but in my long years of listening, I can't recall any work of his where the time signature changes so exactly and so appropriately match the change in thought/sentiment in the lyrics. This piece is amazing, and I still can't quite figure out why more artists haven't given it wider play. Here's hoping!!!! Steve
pljms

Re: On the Virtues of "Be Aware"

Post by pljms »

I love Laura Nyro's version, a rare example of one great songwriter covering another.
Paul
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Hal's lyrics are just great; reminds me of how he and Burt seem to mesh so seamlessly. I wonder if "Be Aware" was written as "Alfie" was where Hal's lyric came first and Burt wrote the music to the lyric or if it was composed first and Hal then wrote the lyrics? It was written in 1971 at a time in Burt's career where he was really busy with his career as an entertainer and often he and Hal didn't work in the same room together. I would bet Burt and Hal were coasts apart when this was written. Hal's ability to take Burt's music even when they wrote miles apart and tailor the words to the tune are often overlooked. I much prefer Dionne's verson because so much of what the three did together was unspoken-they just knew and it comes across so wonderfully in this tune. I also like Laura's version as well as the Streisand performed version on the Bacharach Special in 1971, Can't imagine why Barbra's version was never released in LP or single form or if it was ever recorded other than for the television program or why Warner Brothers so unwisely left the cut on Dionne's 1972 "Dionne" LP unreleased as a single.

Here is the YouTube link to Dionne's recording:
Last edited by BachtoBacharach on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Be Aware 1971
Lost Horizon 1972-73

At this Time 2005

Burt's Poltical Songs

Bye
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Wow....that ending.............."spine-chilling" !!!!!!

Enjoy !
"blue"