Isaac Hayes passed away

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

Isaac Hayes passed away

Post by Marcel »

The soul legend Isaac hayes passed away today!
Very sad.
He and Dionne did some Burt material in the 70`live on the album a man and a woman.
Isaac did also Walk On By which became a great hit for him.
Burt and Isaac also did together the oscar 2000 when Isaac did the oscar winning Shaft theme (that became him famous).
Burt played on the piano that night at the oscars.
A very great musician he was Isaac!
RIP Isaac!

Kind regards Marcel :D
(no longer in the Netherlands!)
grooverider

Re: Isaac Hayes passed away

Post by grooverider »

Many of us in the Los Angeles area were so looking forward to our annual Sunset Junction street festival in the Silver Lake area of LA, where Mr. Hayes was one of the headliners.
Many fond memories both musical and visual (who could ever forget his entrance at the Oscars, singing his Theme from "Shaft", dripping in gold chains and making his entrance from a fog shrouded stage!)
A visionary, a man with talent to spare, he lives on with all the music he gave us.
gabba

Post by gabba »

really really sorry to know about the sad new...what a musician with an absolute unmistakable sound...he gave me many moments of such a good atmosphere..he will be missed a lot i'm sure...bye...GABBA
Rio

Post by Rio »

This is a sad day. I am fortunate for having been aware of his work since I was very young and for having been able to attend one of his concerts. May he rest in peace.
Now We're One is one of my favorite compositions.
Also from that brilliant side A of the Truck Turner soundtrack:
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

It was mentioned in an earlier post that Isaac Hayes had recorded "Walk On By" with Dionne on the ABC album "A Man and A Woman" and also an 11-minute version of it on his "Hot Buttered Soul" album. I really enjoyed his interpretations of at least two (2) more of Burt's compositions: "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" and "The Look of Love". When he left Enterprise Records (a subsidiary label of Stax/Volt) for Columbia Records, he did maybe 2 or 3 albums for them. One of them is "Love Attack" which I really adore not only because of its musical content but because of the quality of the recording itself. It was digitally recorded, mixed, and mastered (DDD-Spars Code) and it still knocks me off my feet whenever I listen to it. I am looking for the other Columbia CD's that may have been digitally recorded but so far haven't run across them. I offer my condolences to the family and friends of Black Moses.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Entertainment Tonight Headlines
Dionne Warwick: 'I've Lost One of My Best Buddies'

Major Grammy winner Dionne Warwick is saddened by the loss of her good friend, R&B singer Isaac Hayes, she tells ET.
"I've lost one of my best buddies and it is not easy to reckon with. I know one can never put a question mark where God puts a period, so I will not question the Almighty's decision to call him home. We all know when that call comes, we all will answer ... personally. My buddy will be missed for many reasons by me. He was 'family' ... he will be a part of my musical life each time I sing the song 'Deja Vu' as this was a birthday gift to me from him. His renditions of songs that I had recorded, especially, 'Walk On By,' in my opinion, 'the definitive version' will always be another memory each time I sing it, and the humorous side that he showed few (that I knew so well). My family and I send sincere heart-felt condolences to his family for their enormous loss, and we will hold them in continuous prayer."

Hayes died today after being found unconscious in his Memphis, Tennessee home.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Would that someone would finally release on CD Isaac and Dionne's A MAN AND A WOMAN concert album! While I know it isn't held in high regard by many compared to the other outstanding achievements of their respective careers, it still has a number of highlights for fans of both artists!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

A great double CD, entitled "Black Moses" contains two Bacharach-David songs: "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and a truly stunning 9 minute version of "(They Long To Be) Close To You", with musical support from the Bar-Kays and background vocals from "Hot, Buttered & Soul."
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Isaac and Dionne duetting on "By The Time I Get To Phoenix/I Say A Little Prayer" from the "A Man & a Woman " album is included on a recent Isaac Hayes compilation called "Can You Dig It".
Bacharach Land

Post by Bacharach Land »

Can anyone create a list of all the Burt Bacharach songs that Isaac Hayes recorded? I would like to compile a CD of his BB interpretations to remember him by. I'd really appreciate it. RIP, Isaac.

Thanks in advance,
Noah
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Sounds almost like a Burt instrumental....

Thank you for the music Isaac....you'll be greatly missed.

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Off the top of my head, Noah:

"I Say A Little Prayer" (with Dionne, in a medley with "...Phoenix")
"I'll Never Fall In Love Again"
"Close To You"
"I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"
"Walk On By"
"The Windows of the World"
"The Look Of Love"

All are majestic treatments worthy of both men's -- Burt & Isaac's -- genius.

Joe
Bacharach Land

Post by Bacharach Land »

Thanks, Joe! I will begin my search for those songs. :)