A Couple Bacharach/Warwick Questions

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Raposo Loves You

A Couple Bacharach/Warwick Questions

Post by Raposo Loves You »

I have a couple questions regarding the Bacharach/Warwick catalog that I hope a seasoned collector might answer.

The first is, were the edits always the same for all the songs Bacharach wrote for Warwick, regardless of whether one purchased a particular song as a single or as part of an album? In other words, were there ever any differences between the single and album versions of any of the songs?

Also, the song "People" on the album "Make Way for Dionne Warwick" is credited to Bacharach, David, Merrill and Styne. Now, I know Burt sometimes produced songs written by other songwriters for Dionne, but why, in only this instance, was there a shared writing credit with the original authors of the song?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris
Raposo Loves You

Re: A Couple Bacharach/Warwick Questions

Post by Raposo Loves You »

Or... maybe the writers' credits for "People" as listed on allmusic and wikipedia are wrong? I don't have the actual CD of "Make Way For" handy...

Chris
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

It's definitely an error..Burt did not write "People", although he did arrange this cut, I believe....(cant remember too well).....I know Peter Matz did some charts for Dionne, like Somewhere from West Side Story...
Regarding your other question about the differences in album vs. single edits..I have no idea.

Steveo
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Yes, "People" is indeed just credited to Merrill/Styne, and any other attribution is incorrect.

There are a couple Bacharach/Warwick alternates; one off the top of my head would be "Here Where There Is Love" which I believe has an extended instrumental section on the LP version. I also believe there are mono & stereo mixes which would qualify as alternate versions. Hope this helps (however vague, since I don't have my LPs and CDs on hand)! :)
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I know of alternate versions of Who Is Gonna Love Me, A House Is Not A Home, Don't Make Me Over (an extended verison heard on Rhino's The Dionne Warwick Collection and other compilations that is about 18 seconds longer than the single version), It's Love That Really Counts, This Girl's In Love With You (full version and radio edit or single edit), I Say A Little Prayer (the single version and a slightly slower version with the countoff is available on the box set The Scepter Records Story and there may be a few others that I am missing. Scepter released all its singles in a mono mix for AM radio and the general public and began releasing stereo singles in about 1972 until they went defunct in 1976. Scepter also made some white label promo copies for FM stereo radio in about 1970. White label promo or DJ copies for AM were in mono only and featured the promoted tune on both sides of the single. The album mixes were done for both mono and stereo until about 1968 and I believe Dionne Warwick in Valley of the Dolls was the 1st Scepter lp released only in a stereo mix. Her Golden Hits Part 1 in 1968 was the first Scepter lp released as "StereoMonic" and with a Unipak sleeve (a sleeve with an extra flap covering what would be the front of a regular sleeve) which was simply a stereo lp that could also be played on mono turntables.