Unpaid reviews by users of commercial sites

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

Unpaid reviews by users of commercial sites

Post by Rio »

A review I wrote 9 years ago (in 1999!) for Amazon.
So many people say Burt's music is uplifting. It sure can be. But the beauty of many of his works can move me deeply. I find a sadness in so much of what he wrote.

Would you copy and paste here (or provide a link to) reviews of Burts works that you have written for sites such as Amazon.com? What about reviews you particlarly appreciate by other regular (or otherwise) folks published in such sites?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make It Easy on Yourself
Availability: This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
11 used & new from $15.00

10 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
One of the very best albums ever, February 6, 1999
This is one of those great albums that Bacharach recorded at A&M. Make It Easy on Yourself is superb, and might just be my favorite. Perhaps what one will find most rewarding about this album is that relatively unknown compositions such as Pacific Coast Highway, She's Gone Away, Knowing When to Leave, Whoever You Are (I Love You), and Wanting Things, are unspeakably beautiful --that's all I can say... Lots of people seem to think they know Bacharach because they know Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, or I'll Never Fall In Love Again, for instance --but this album gives everyone a chance to find out what Bacharach is all about. It is clear enough that Bacharach's music should never have been labeled (by some) as "easy listening." But what this album does is show that his music (understood to include his arrangements) often is not easy to listen to either. It is too beautiful --and often too sad-- for that.