Lou Johnson's Big Top Recordings

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Lou Johnson's Big Top Recordings

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I purchased the recently-released Lou Johnson's CD entitled "Incomparable Soul Vocalist--Big Top Recordings" this past Monday and I must say it lives up to its title! There are a total of 25 songs on this compilation collection, 7 of which were composed by the Maestro with lyrics by none other than the great Hal David. The 7 are:
1) Reach Out For Me
2) The Last One To Be Loved
3) Magic Potion
4) (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me
5) If I Never Get To Love You
6) Walk On By
7) Kentucky Bluebird (Send A Message To Martha)
There are EXTENSIVE liner notes included which gives detailed descriptions of each and every song. Lou says that Burt had written these songs with Dionne in mind, however, she wasn't enamoured with them and they were subsequently passed on to him. All but two (2) of the 7 BB/HD were arranged, conducted, and produced by the Maestro and the two that weren't are "If I Never Get To Love You" and "Walk On By'", the latter being arranged by the great Allen Toussaint. Mr. Johnson's depth, understanding, appreciation, and interpretation of Burt's melodies and time signatures are beautifully showcased in this collection and, as for as the remaining 18 songs, there truly are some gems to be found amongst them. The Big Top/Kent recordings are released by Ace Records.
steveo_1965

Re: Lou Johnson's Big Top Recordings

Post by steveo_1965 »

HI,
SOunds like a very great thing! I love Ace Records, and all of the cool re-issues they are
releasing.

Steveo