does Burt do non-Burt music?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

does Burt do non-Burt music?

Post by nowmedical »

Here's a question - has anyone ever heard Burt sing, play or record a song he hasn't himself written?
Blair N. Cummings

Re: does Burt do non-Burt music?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I believe Burt played a few bars of "Didn`t We' behind Richard Harris on the ABC Shangri-La special, but I can`t think of another instance off-hand.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A Beatles medley arranged by Burt !

"blue"
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blue;

Hey thanks for that rare clip!

What was the name of this show?

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Didn't Burt arrange Dionne's recording of the Theme from Valley of the Dolls, as well?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Vincent,
The name of the show was "Kraft Music Hall : Bacharach Is Back" (USA title) 1970
In the UK it was called "Another Evening With Burt Bacharach".....Dusty also performed
her great rendition of "A House Is Not A Home" (with Burt at the piano) on the same show.

Steve,
Here's some info concerning Dionne's "Valley of the dolls".......

Take care mon ami's
"blue"
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Merci Mr Blue!
Fantastique Burt Bacharach!
Et Beatles 4ever!

Best regards,
Djalma Jr
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Burt arranged Who Can I Turn To for Dionne which was a minor hit in 1965 as well as her entire "On Stage and In the Movies" album from 1967. He did arrange Dionne's single "Valley of the Dolls" as well. "On Stage and In the Movies" contains stunning Bacharach arrangements of three of my favorites "Summertime", "My Favorite Things" and "One Hand, One Heart". He also arranged her single versions (not the soundtrack versions) of "Amanda" and " He's Moving On" from 1971's "The Love Machine" movie which were released in August of 1971 as A & B Sides and was Dionne's last "official" single under her Scepter contract..."Amanda" was a minor hit charting in the Top 15 of the AC Chart and in the low 80s on the Hot 100. Little known is that on many occasions Dionne had input into the arrangements and at times the charts were changed on the fly in the session. The story is true that she actually counted out the convoluted time signatures for Burt in his Manhattan apartment when he was preparing the charts for their "Anyone Who Had A Heart" recording session which would take place a few days later, this being in November 1962. Dionne was a very accomplished musician in her own right...she can be heard playing a mean rocking piano on her 1965 recording of "This Little Light" on her Here I Am album...she also arranged that tune. Dionne used to play the piano in some of her concert appearances in the mid-60s. I often wonder what Burt's compositions would have been if he hadn't had a musician and vocalist the caliber of Dionne. I believe he would have gone in quite a different direction. He has said that he could take tremendous risks with Dionne and that he couldn't take with others. I can tell you this, Burt said in a recent interview with the WSJ that Dionne would frequently get "pissed" about things in the studio and that's true. She was not meek and mild, and he was not a svengali to her...she wouldn't have allowed that. Their relationsip was truly collaborative; she was no mere "voice" for their work.