Etta James

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Etta James

Post by grooverider »

Etta James is in a Riverside, California hospital with end-stage leukemia and dementia. Ms. James is one of our national treasures. Here is "Waiting for Charlie to Come Home".

Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: Etta James

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I am and always have been a huge fan of Ms. James and remember when I'd attend her shows in OKC and afterwards would come to my dad's nightclub to eat. A friend of mine was the drummer in the house band and at one performance at a club called "The Pink Flamingo" on N.E. 4th and Eastern (now M.L.K.,Jr.) during the sixties, she stopped the band in mid-song and said "Start over, you're not playing this right!". My friend threw both drumsticks at her and got up and walked out the door and I followed him but couldn't keep up-he was mad and really moving fast. I do remember "Waitin' For Charlie To Come Home" and wonder did Burt do the arrangement/production of it? I especially like Nancy Wilson's recording of it but am certain Burt didn't do the arrangements on it. I remember someone by the name of H.B. Barnum doing either the arrangements or productions or both for her Capitol recordings. Only wish Dionne would do an album of new and classic songs and include this gem amongst the others. My thoughts and prayers are with Etta and her family. No one, but NO one could ever take her place!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Bruce, The credits on the 45 single by Ms. James say, "Orchestration by Riley Hampton". Here's a version that does have the participation of Burt Bacharach. It's a live recording done by Trijntje Oosterhuis:

And, yes, many thoughts are with the legendary Etta James and her family at this time.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Sorry to hear about Ms. James' health...
Regarding "Charlie" , I think Burt orchestrates on the Kapp version with JAne Morgan,
including a rare orchestration of him doing another composers song with her(Ask Me To Dance).flip side of that 45.