BB @ Wilderness in Cornbury Park

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

rosiebones

BB @ Wilderness in Cornbury Park

Post by rosiebones »

Dear All
I am new to this, last night I attended the Wilderness Festival in Cornbury Park in Oxfordshire (that is UK). Burt and the team were there and about half way through I realised my face was aching as I was grinning so much. What a night in every sense, it had been raining - it is after all England in the Summer - but it did not rain while they were on. Amazing musicians and the three singers but the beauty and expression when Burt sang Alfie will stay with me always. I hope they did not think it disrespectful that we all sang along with most of the songs - in my case even the early ones ( I am old enough to remember them). It was clear that everyone around me loved Burt just as much as I do. The theme of Bacharach music has run throughout my life, thank you Burt. Rosie xx
ron hertel

Re: BB @ Wilderness in Cornbury Park

Post by ron hertel »

Dear Rosie:

With the following exception - I AGREE with all you've expressed here: .... When it comes to singing along - it can infringe on the enjoyment of others who can barely hear what is being performed. I've attended Bacharach and Warwick concerts where nothing short of glaring stares and dirty looks worked to halt the sing along crowd. ..... Adding to the distraction is the fact that most of us are not very good singers. .... I sing along with my recordings and in the shower to spare others the agony of listening to my interpretations!

Years ago when Dionne's voice was in top form - she would tell the audience that if they wished to sing along with her she would stop singing and watch THEM! ...... Today she actively encourages them to sing along in an attempt to compensate for her diminished vocal capabilities - prime example: when performing the song "Heartbreaker" ........ "Why do you have to be a (turns the microphone toward the audience for: HEARTBREAKER") ...... Burt's concerts today are as good (if not better) as they were 50 years ago and with Donna, John and Josie performing the vocals - they DO NOT NEED US to enhance the concert experience!

Am I becoming a kill-joy or what?
someonenameddavid

Re: BB @ Wilderness in Cornbury Park

Post by someonenameddavid »

I think there are two kinds of magic in Burt's performances, one kind exemplified by "Waiting for Charlie to come home home" and "Anyone who had a Heart" which is the individual communicating to the group. Then "Raindrops. .." is a singalong where the audience has a shared experience. So one type does not lend itself to singalong and the other does. Burt as a performer is intensely likeable and genuine because he is the same in real life: just go and enjoy. Don't worry about the other people.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.